Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Twelve

Brayden turned twelve a couple weeks ago, and was ordained a Deacon this past Sunday.
 We are always grateful for so much family support at occasions like these. Todd's Mom, sister, and brother and family were here, as well as my parents.  They all got to watch him pass the sacrament for the first time.
I am so proud of my Brayden.  He has developed quite a sense of humor and is delightful to be around.  He is well-read, smart as a whip, and works SO hard to "conform" socially, which doesn't always come naturally to him.  His study skills teacher calls me every few days, usually with something good to say about him, but if there is any kind of problem it is dealt with immediately and I have been kept very well-informed.

I am thrilled with every one of his teachers this year, and all that the school has done to make sure that he is successful. I just can't imagine that he would have gotten the same degree of help where we used to live...it's not possible in such a small town, and I feel like we are in the right place for him at this time. He has grown and matured by leaps and bounds since last year, and Todd and I are pleased as punch with his progress. (In defense of our small school from the middle of nowhere, I have to say that when we moved here, we took a big step backward academically.  Small schools do have several advantages, and I'm grateful for the time we had there.  I miss the Saxon math and Spalding spelling programs terribly, the small class sizes, and being part of a Title 1 school).

Brayden has an amazing Science teacher (he LOVES Science), and he just finished Pickleball and CSI classes that he really enjoyed.  Today he started an Art class that goes for the next three weeks. In Study Skills he has the opportunity to teach whenever someone needs help with their Science homework, and his teacher tells me that she thinks it would be a good profession for him.  He is very patient and does a great job of explaining things using the board.

I mentioned in a previous post that Brayden read the entire Book of Mormon this summer.  He chose to do it on his own, and I didn't even know about it until he was part way through Alma. In many ways he is already an example to me, and I am so blessed to call him my son.  He is also a great example for his brothers.

For birthdays this year, we decided to do away with our traditional "theme parties" and do an activity as a family--birthday boy's choice.  As hard as Todd and I tried to talk Brayden into seeing Aladdin at Tuacahn, he was dead set on swimming at the rec center :o).  I learned that hydro tube slides are a lot more fun when you're young and skinny.  I conveniently forgot the camera so I don't have any pics at the pool, but we had a good time as a family and I'm excited for this new tradition.  I was starting to get a little "themed out".

3 comments:

Mindy said...

As much as I loved seeing your theme parties, I think your new idea is fantastic. :) I think I'm too old for hydro tubes too. Brayden is one awesome kid!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

Ditto on everything Mindy said, seriously.
And my oldest turns 12 soon too...any suggestions as to where to get his first suit?

Jen said...

Supportive Family members, doesn't get much better than that! :) That is cool!