Friday, November 9, 2012

the end of a season

It's going to freeze here tonight, so I thought I'd post a few pictures of the end of our growing season.
Our morning glory monstrosity has turned into our "love fern". 
(quick, name that movie)
Left:  (where the sun don't shine)                                                       Right: (where the sun do shine)                                                                    

We finally harvested the pomegranates from the neighbor's tree that hangs into our yard.  I bet we got 50-60 total! I'm planning to freeze them on a cookie sheet so they won't stick together, and then put them into snack bags to throw in the kids' lunches.  I noticed today that pomegranates in the grocery store were on sale for $2.50 a piece.  Kinda makes me want to plant another tree!

I have a whole bunch of green tomatoes, but only a few of them ripened in time for the frost.  I'm debating whether to pick the rest of the green ones and let them ripen inside, or "tuck them in" with a blanket for the next few days.  I'm still kind of "geeking out" over the fact that I just picked tomatoes out of my garden in November.

And speaking of the end of another season, Dillon finally lost his other front tooth.  I told him he wasn't allowed to wiggle it, but while I was out one evening, he pulled it anyway.  My parents always say that when kids lose their front teeth they go from being puppies, to dogs.  I think in Dillon's case, he looks more like....

...one of those smug little green pigs from Angry Birds.

Our smartypants baby is growing up as well.  The other day, after Caleb learned about Morse Code in Scouts, Todd pulled it up on his iPad.  We were all surprised when Justin started naming the letters as they appeared on the screen.  I think someone's been watching too much Super Why.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Ooh, I love pomegranates! What a bonus. I bet it took forever to get all of those seeds out, though.

Charlotte said...

We've been picking strawberries from our garden all week... in November... in Idaho... geeking out doesn't even begin to explain it.

I so love pomegranates. I won't tell you what I paid for 2 of them last week. :P