Thursday, March 24, 2011

Bleak


Yesterday was one of those days that you hope and pray will never happen to your family.

The company that Todd works for has a new CEO, who has decided to shut down the three therapeutic programs in our small community.

In a town of 500 people in the middle of nowhere, 200 will be losing their jobs.

The possibility of being able to sell our house is highly unlikely.

The outlook for many is bleak.

But, strangely enough, I feel okay about it. I don't know why this happened, and I don't know exactly how we'll get through it, but I know the Lord is watching out for us.  I can feel it so strongly it is almost tangible.  I've literally only cried a few tears, as I was telling our parents, but not even enough to mess up my mascara.

A couple years ago, both our Bishop and Stake President had an overwhelming feeling that we needed to "be prepared" as a community.  I remember Bishop saying he didn't know why, but he just couldn't shake the feeling.

And here we are.

I have absolutely no idea where to even begin or which path to follow, but I am calm and I feel peace.  There were a couple hours yesterday when I started to get angry, and I'm sure in the days to come we will experience a whole spectrum of emotions, but the anger passed quickly and I know deep down that it will all be okay.

Todd often says "When the Lord closes a door, he always opens a window...but that doesn't mean it won't be hell in the hallway".

It takes awhile to close a program like the one where he works, and luckily he can keep his job until August 2nd.  Some lost their job yesterday, and others will be laid off in May, June, and July.  We feel grateful to at least have some time for the dust to settle before we have to make any major decisions.

The spirit in our community is strong.  I have no doubt that people will rally together and weather the storm as a whole.  What we DO have is a bunch of people who know how to run residential and wilderness treatment facilities.  The possibility of keeping these programs going, on a private level, is actually a very real possibility...but it will take everyone working together.  No one person can do it alone.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to see where the rest of this year takes us.

12 comments:

Lacy@uphillandsmiling said...

Wow, Felicia, that's devastating! Your post is so positive and I know that your faith will get you through :) Your family will be in my prayers.

Charlotte said...

Mom told me last night... we are thinking of you and praying. Thank you for always being a good example.

Marianne said...

I am so sorry! However, I admire your strength, faith and positive attitude. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. I love Todd's quote...hell in the hallway...so true! Keep your chin up and run through the hallway as fast as you can! {HUGS}

Kristi Rowley said...

So when I saw the picture my first thought was "Home" (Koosharem).
You are such an amazing person. The Faith you have will get you through this time. I so understand your emotions. I love Todd's quote. That Hallway can be tough, but knowing you, you will make it a positive. Your in my prayers.

mommymelb said...

(((HUGS))) I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I love you so much and you're such a good example to me!

Sandra said...

Oh Felecia that is disheartening. I'm so sorry for the community. That is huge! I hope those who are loosing their jobs so quickly can find comfort. I'll be praying for your family.

Rachel Holloway said...

I am so sorry--while there is always that "knowing that things will work out", it sometimes feels less than convincing...
Know that we are thinking of you and praying for your family--and for that "working out" part to come into play!

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

I had to re-read this post just to make it sink in...what a devastating loss for the community. I hope and pray that the Hellish Hallway part of this journey doesn't last too long, but even if it does, I know y'all will come through it alright. Your faith in the face of adversity has inspired me throughout our entire friendship, so I know you can get through this. Love you. :)

Cami said...

Wow, I am so sorry. It will all work out. When Travis lost his job, I had that same sense of peace. We ended up next to my sister in a wonderful neighborhood. Maybe you should just plan on moving here. You would already know 2 families. Our ward just slit and Julia is in the other ward.

Shanda Call said...

prayers are with you! You are an awesome family, I'm wishing the best comes of the circumstance!

The Browning Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all the job cuts, especially Todd's. I'm glad you have until August--that will be a great blessing and will give you time for the Lord to direct you. With your unshakable faith I know everything will work out well!

Trina said...

Felicia, I just love you! I haven't been on the blogs for awhile but when I saw your FB post with your house for sale I had to know what was happening in your world. I am so sorry to hear the news. We have had our share of that kind of news around here too and the Lord has always taken care of us and provided for our needs. I will pray for your family and all of the other families.