Friday, February 17, 2012

Finding ourselves

"Where you go through life so sure of where you’re headin'
And you wind up lost and it's the best thing that could have happened
‘Cause sometimes when you lose your way it's really just as well
Because you find yourself...Yeah that’s when you find yourself."


-Brad Paisley


We're starting to get settled here.  I cannot believe that in another month it will have been a year since we found out Todd was going to lose his job.  Our faith has been tested.  We've been humbled.  We've been stretched out of our comfort zone...and we're better for it.  I mentioned a few times last year that I couldn't wait to be able to rewind and "watch this movie again" once I knew the ending.  Well, here I am, and the ending turned out so much better than I'd ever hoped.
I know it's the middle of February, but I thought I'd give a little "Christmas Letter" update on our family now that the "crazy" is over...or at least slowed down.

Justin (18 mos) is a bundle of energy and for the most part a very pleasant and happy baby.  He's already started throwing little tantrums, but he's cute enough that we can usually overlook them.  He attended nursery last Sunday (for the first time) and loved it. His only words are "Hello", "Mama", "Yes", and "Kitty", but we are in the process of taking away his pacifier and I'm pretty sure all that babbling is going to turn into words soon enough.  He likes to throw things in the toilet, take off one shoe and sock and throw them overboard while in the shopping cart, and draw on his magna-doodle.

Dillon (almost 7) is a sneaky little guy who has a talent for escaping chores and homework without my noticing.  His freckles and the "sunshine" that comes from his eyes still melt my heart and he gets away with it far too often.  He must be saving his "best self" for school, because he recently received the "Super Citizen" award for being such a gentleman.  He is bilingual, speaking both English and Ninjago, and he really wants to start piano lessons. I need to get on the ball and find a teacher.  He also loves to draw, and goes through more reams of paper than our other kids combined.

Caleb (almost 10) is a huge help to me.  He is the one I call on to grab a can from the downstairs pantry, or watch the baby for a minute because he always follows through.  He recently joined the school choir, and he loves cub scouts, and riding his rip-stick.  He is a head shorter than the other kids in his grade, and doesn't like cold cereal (he gets that from me).  He will likely have a tonsillectomy this year and will be disappointed to discover that it's not all popsicles and ice cream...

Brayden (11) became a boy scout this year, and is currently working on three merit badges.  He loves to read and can often be found curled up in the rocking chair with his kindle. He would eat an entire box of cereal in a sitting, if I'd let him, and his shoes are only a size behind mine.  He recently joined the school choir along with Caleb.  Unlike his brothers, Brayden loves to sleep in...probably because he stays up too late reading. His favorite school subjects are science and art, and he's looking forward to riding the bus, and having a locker at school next year (although he wishes he could choose the combination himself). 

I, Felicia (30ish), miss my friends (dearly) from our last ward, but love living near stores again!  I'm clippin' coupons and shopping for deals while waiting for my quilt studio to be finished, and just enjoying having the family under one roof again.  I've started going to Curves, and really enjoy it.  I don't mind jiggling my fat in front of the old ladies :o). I'm slowly gearing up to unpack the basement (out of sight, out of mind), but may need some external prodding.  I set a goal to read a book a month this year, and so far I've checked one out from the library and renewed it twice.  Todd thought it was a lofty goal, since I only read one book for myself last year (other than my scriptures).  I like to read...I just don't make time for it.  I think I'll start doing it outside while Justin plays in the sandbox.  Feel free to pester me occasionally about what I'm reading.  I was recently called to teach primary (8-9 yr. olds) and I'm also on the RS funeral committee.  

Todd (closer to 40 than he'd like) is busy, busy, busy.  He is working at a Residential Treatment Center for teens, and building up a private practice in the evenings.  He has been working towards certification to facilitate group therapy in the LifeSTAR  program, and will start working with one of the phase II groups soon. He teaches occasional marriage enrichment classes at the USU extension office, and in April he will teach an online marriage class as an adjunct professor at BYU-I.  He is thrilled that we moved to a warmer climate just in time to avoid the klondike derby, and is getting ready to cut out (yet another) pinewood derby car. He has started remodeling the room in our garage that will be my quilting studio, and he recently joined Planet Fitness...although he rarely has a minute to go! I can't tell you what his new calling is going to be, but I will tell you that it's not "Stake paper products coordinator" like we had secretly hoped.   

Happy New Ye........um,  Happy President's Day everyone!  Thanks for all your thoughts, prayers, and support this past year.  We have truly been blessed in our trials, and I can honestly say that I am grateful for the events that have transpired, because we are better for it.


5 comments:

Mindy said...

What a great family pic! I loved reading your update. :)

Unknown said...

Well now that you are down here and things have settled feel free to invite us for dinner anytime...ok I'm kidding. I used to go to Curves and I loved it! I wish we had time for me to start going back. I love family picture too!

Sandra said...

You crack me up...stake paper product coordinator ha ha :) Your family picture is adorable. Miss you guys.

Clark Family said...

Great picture! Loved this update!!!

Andrea said...

Thanks for the update! Congrats to Todd on teaching at BYU-I. Scott has really enjoyed teaching that class.