Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Eight months later...

In January I posted pictures of our bathroom after getting it unpacked, and mentioned that 
I'd give 10 points to anyone who could guess the "theme" I had in mind. 
Unfortunately, nobody guessed it so...no points for you! 
(read it like the soup nazi would say it)

It has actually been decorated for months, but this morning as I was trying to get rid of the pee smell (again), I remembered I had never posted the finished room.  Many of you have been here to visit so you've already seen it. For the rest of you, come on in and take a look while it's clean.  The boys will be home in a couple hours so we don't have long...

My sister tried to figure out what I was thinking by looking through my pins on Pinterest.  It didn't work since nobody, and I mean nobody, has ever decorated their bathroom with an "Are You My Mother" theme.  I was on my own for this one.

Before we moved, I was reading the book to Justin and noticed, for the first time, how cute the pictures were.  My mom read this story to my siblings and I as kids so I have always loved it, but somehow missed the greatness of the illustrations.  Maybe it's because the pictures are mostly yellow and brown.  Anyhoo, I decided that wherever we moved, I wanted to decorate with pictures from the book.


The mother bird in the story wears a red and white polka dot bandana on her head, and I used that for my inspiration...as well as the yellow and brown illustrations.  I "shopped" around my house and in my stash of "doo-dahs and fluff" in the garage and was pleasantly surprised with what I came up with!  The only things I bought specifically for this bathroom were the ceramic bird on the tray (50% off at Michaels), 2 brown towels*  (which we needed anyway--14 years have done a number on our wedding towels), and the floor rug (shown in the January pics).


I made the "Subway Art" print myself, using phrases from the book, and scanned the others from the book.  I used Photoshop to change the yellow a bit, and had them printed at Costco.  It's hard to see, but there is a framed picture of the "Snort" on the shelf above the toilet.  That was always my favorite part of the book, so I had to include it somewhere.
The wreath came from DI.  I love DI.  One of these days I will do a post on some of my favorite DI finds, but since it has nothing to do with this post whatsoever, I will move on.
I have some red and white polka-dot ribbon (somewhere) and I will eventually sew a horizontal stripe of ribbon onto the white towel.  Perhaps I'll get around to it in another eight months.

* Surprisingly, I have found that the Walmart towels (Mainstay brand, I think) are the BEST out there for the price.  They are less expensive than all the other stores, but they feel like they are higher quality, and have remained soft and fluffy through LOTS of washings.  They are the only towels I will buy now. 

5 comments:

Mindy said...

You think of the best things, seriously. I love that book too, and the illustrations are fabulous!! Way to think outside the box!

Shanda said...

WOW! I LOVE it!! You are so creative, I've said it before, I want your mind! what a beautiful bathroom!

Charlotte said...

I love it. So cute.

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

You amaze the heck out of me. That is the cutest bathroom ever!

Violadiva said...

So unique, and fun, and classy and beautiful. I'm trying to figure out a way to copy you without actually copying you... Maybe I should do a green eggs and ham kitchen? Would that scare people away from eating at my house?
xo