The boys would get out their books, do a few math problems, and then realize they needed a ruler so they'd get up and leave the table...
...and get distracted along the way.
Ten minutes later, I'd round them up, they'd start doing their homework again, and then they'd need a blue crayon, or a pair of scissors.
...And then they would need to sharpen their pencil. Or they'd use up their eraser and go searching for another one.
Every time they would leave the table, they'd get distracted along the way and end up wasting time. Homework was taking FOR.EV.ER.
So, for Christmas, I made these "homework buckets". I sewed "double decker" crayon rolls, and wrapped them around empty quart sized paint cans (purchased new at the hardware store for around $1). Then I filled each can with a pair of scissors, a ruler, a giant eraser, a compass, a glue stick, two mechanical pencils, extra lead, and a new set of 24 crayons for the outside pockets.
I purposely color-coded each child's bucket and supplies, so that if I see a ruler or pencil lying around on my kitchen counter, I know who left it there :o)
So far, it has worked great. The boys take their bucket to the table and have everything they need--so their bum's can stay glued to their seat 'til their homework is finished!
After three weeks of use, I'm calling this new "system" a raging success. Now if I could figure out how to get them to actually TURN THEIR HOMEWORK IN, we'd really be on to something.
8 comments:
How awesome those look great. What a great idea. For my kids they get distracted by what the little ones are doing...any ideas for that? :)
What a cute idea! I love them. I should make some for me for when I'm sewing! :)
I agree. I need one for when I am sewing too.
Fantastic IDEA! My girls are the same way. So, how much do you charge for one?
This is GENIUS. I'm with Kristi. I want to buy some from you! Seriously- I don't sew so how much??? Email me if you're willing.
clarkie604@gmail.com
Great idea! I need to make some.
You have the best ideas!
Amazingly brilliant!!!
Post a Comment