Sunday, July 31, 2011

Left to Tell

I was talking to my friend Cathy a few weeks ago, and the topic turned to prayer.  She told me about this book she had just read, called "Left To Tell".

It is the story of Immaculee Ilibagiza, who survived the Rwandan Holocaust in the early nineties.  She spent three months hiding in a 3'x4' bathroom with SEVEN other women.  They literally had to sit on top of each other, and barely spoke a word for fear of being discovered. When she began hiding, she weighed 115 lbs, and when she got out, she weighed 65 lbs.  The thing that got her through this ordeal was the relationship she developed with God.  She prayed for nearly 20 hours a day, and through her experience, she learned how to communicate with Him, seek for His will, and forgive the evil men who killed a million of her people, including her family.

This is the first paragraph of the forward in the book:

"I've read thousands of books over the past 50 or so years.  The book you hold in your hands is by far the most moving and poignantly significant of the vast library that comprises my lifetime of personal reading.
You're about to embark on a journey that will undoubtedly change the way you view the power of faith--forever."

It is not an easy book to read, because of the horrific things she describes, but I am so glad I read it.  She believes that the reason she survived this ordeal, is so that she could share her story and help others to heal through His love.

It made me think twice about my own problems, and how insignificant they are.  Todd took the book tonight so he could return it to the library on his way to work tomorrow, and already I wish I had it back to re-read.

I hope that I can apply some of the things she learned to improve my own faith and prayers.

5 comments:

Mother of the Wild Boys said...

That sounds like an amazing book. I'll add it to my list.

And I love your August banner for the blog, it's so cute!

Anita said...

I read that book several years ago! It is quite amazing and humbling!

Cathy Brian said...

Glad you liked it!!

girlsmama said...

I read "Left to Tell" a few years ago. It was amazing. There is a movie that has Immaculee in it bythe same title. Amazing.

Sandra said...

I already looked it up at our Library to place on hold. The only thing available is the book club pack of them. Would you say this is a good book to have do a book club with?